The Building & Zoning Department regulates the construction, demolition, and occupancy of all buildings within the Borough of Freedom. This office reviews and issues all permits required by code for the repair, alteration, or addition to all public and private dwellings and structures, as well as permits for new construction. The primary mission of the Building Department is to provide safety and a better quality of living to the residents of the Borough of Freedom.
The Borough of Freedom has opted to enforce the provision of the Commonwealth's Uniform Construction Code (UCC). Pursuant to the UCC and the Borough's zoning ordinance, permits are required for the following actions:
1) Any construction, alterations, repair, moving, installation, enlarging, or changing of any building or structure; including swimming pools, garages, sheds, and the enclosing of any porch.
2) Any installation, enlarging, altering, repairing, removing, converting, or replacing of any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.
3) Demolition of any structure or dwelling including accessory structures (i.e. garages).
4) Any repair or replacement of any public sidewalk and for all curb cuts.
5) The replacement, enlargement, moving, erection, or installation of any sign.
6) The change of use of a structure (i.e. change from a single family to multi-family dwelling) or if a new owner seeks to occupy a property that has been used for commercial or industrial purposes.
Permits are not required for painting, replacement of siding, roofing, windows, door, soffit and fascia, gutters, or re-pointing masonry. However, it is recommended to speak with the Building Department before any construction begins.
Applicable inspections are required for any work that requires a permit. The Borough currently utilizes a third-party inspection agency for these inspections. Middle Department Inspection Agency is the only inspection agency authorized to perform inspections within the Borough.
For further questions related to building and zoning matters, please contact
Troy Gump, from KLH Engineers, Inc.